You can achieve your goals and live your dreams!
I don’t care how many people say: “You can’t do that” or “You’re not good enough.” I’ve heard it all before, but I’m telling you…you CAN achieve your goals and live your dreams.
However, there is a big IF in this “achieve your goals” and “live your dreams” equation. Let me explain.
Every month I speak to hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of teenagers and get to tell my story. If you haven’t heard my story, here are a few highlights I share in my book Who Wants To Be Normal, Anyway?!:
- In elementary school I had a significant speech impediment and could not pronounce the sounds associated with the letters F, G, J, K, L, R, S, V, Z, Ch, Sh, Th, and all related consonant blends.
- By the time I reached third grade, my teacher had a private conference with my parents and asked them how I passed the previous grades without being able to read.
- In seventh grade I was an “At-Risk” child and was caught doing something that should have resulted in being expelled, but the middle school principal demonstrated grace and even went on to become a mentor in my life.
- When I graduated high school, my SAT scores were so low I was not accepted into college. I had to take ”Developmental Studies” before being accepted into college on probation.
- In spite of all these academic struggles, I went on to graduate cum laude from college and summa cum laude in my graduate work.
- I have authored, co-authored, and published seven books.
- I now speak all over the country.
It’s a pretty amazing story considering, as the bullet points demonstrate above, that I have struggled with language all of my life.
When I share this story during a presentation, I usually receive a huge round of applause. I appreciated the applause, but that’s not why I share. I share to encourage students to go after their dreams and goals!
You see, people used to laugh at me when I told them I wanted to be a speaker. They giggled when I said I wanted to write books that empower people to achieve their goals and live their dreams.
But now, that’s exactly what I do!
Even though I’m just an average guy, and in some ways a below-average guy, I’ve been able to achieve my goals and live my dreams. What’s more, I’m no different than you…you CAN achieve your goals and live your dreams too!
You CAN achieve your goals and live your dreams IF…
Wondering what the big IF is?
There are actually several big IFs. Some are big-picture and philosophical, while others are more pragmatic. Let me share a few big-picture, philosophical ideas on how to achieve your goals and live your dreams.
LIVE Your Script—BE YOU!
- According to Thomas J. Stanley book The Millionaire Next Door, a study of deca-millionaires shows they all have one thing in common…they LOVE what they do for a living. Did you get that? They love their work! If you want to achieve your goals and live your dreams, find work you love!
- Become a student of you—discover what you are passionate about and how you can best serve the world. If you figure this out, you are well on your way to living your script.
- Remember that the two greatest moments in your life are when you are born and the moment you discover why you were born. Invest in discovering why you were born and then live out that purpose.
INVEST in the Right Relationships
- Jim Rohn said if you want to know what you’ll be like in five years, just take the average of the five people with whom you spend the most time today. With whom do you hang out? Who do you allow to invest in your life?
- Additionally, we are what we watch, listen to, and read; therefore, invest wisely in what you see on TV, what you listen to on the radio, and what books you read.
VALUE the Power and Impact of Your Decisions
- Successful people realize one of the only things they control 100 percent is their decisions. In other words, most events in life are out of our control, but we can control our attitudes and how we react to the circumstances we face. (i.e. E+R=O)
EVERY SINGLE DAY…Take Positive Steps
- You can achieve your goals and live your dreams if you take positive steps everyday. Small steps everyday make you a better person and make the world around you a better place (i.e. BIG Is Little and Little Is BIG).
- As Zig Ziglar says, “If you want to make it to the top, serve as many people as possible.”
One last thought. Did you notice that the first letter of each big IF spells out the word “LIVE.” If you want to achieve your goals and live your dreams, always remember…
What we believe in is evidenced by how we LIVE,
not just by what we say.
1. Which of the 4 big IFs speaks to you most? Why?
2. What is one thing you can do this week to LIVE what you believe?